The reasons why I am thankful to be a teacher:
- The students. For over 33 years, they have given me wisdom, laughter, challenges, and hope.
- Other teachers. For over 59 years, they have shared lessons, advice, struggles, stories and laughs.
- The support staff. For over 54 years, they have kept schools clean, safe,helpful, friendly, and amusing places.
- Administrators. For over 35 years, they have offered me guidance and support mixed with conflict resolution and funny ways to grow.
- Parents and guardians. For 34 years, they have provided valuable background information, new insights into parenting, and witty comments.
- Books. For over 59 years they have given me creative and inspiring ways to learn and to interact with my crazy and funny world.
- Movies. For over 55 years they have made me laugh, cry, wonder, and dream.
- Music. For over 59 years songs have helped me make sense of all that is serious and silly in my life.
- Family and friends. For all my life, they have given me perspective and laughter and love to sustain me in the teaching profession.
- Nature. For as long as I can remember, the great outdoors with its wonder and its wicked sense of humor has provided me with both beauty and danger.
- Strangers. For probably 56 0r 57 years they have surprised me in sweet,helpful ways, or they frustrated me in thoughtless, ridiculous ways.
So I suppose, in retrospect, I can thank teaching for helping me develop an advanced sense of humor!